Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Artists in Residence 2010

Look Out, Look Out, There's Magpies About!
Jugglers Art Space


For this recent work exhibited at Jugglers Art Space I decided to experiment a little more with machine embroidery. I'm really loving producing wall based 2D work, and I'm quite happy with how these turned out. I was exploring a common sight in Australian Spring/Summer: Magpie Attacks. So comical when it's not happening to you. A true Schadenfreude. When I was growing up we lived across the road from a park where magpies used to breed. Some afternoons I used to just sit out there waiting for the next victim and giggle myself silly.

I have been an artist in residence at jugglers for around 4 years now and I feel so lucky to be a part of such a progressive and dynamic space. I have had lots of fantastic opportunities to interact with such a diverse range of artists and have seen the space evolve and fulfill many ambitious projects. It's just nice to be a part of something bigger than yourself, especially with such lovely and inspiring people.

No comments: